Sunday, October 02, 2005

An Explosion in Norman

There was an explosion at the University of Oklahoma Last night. Apparently a suicide bomber. The MSM press seems to indicate it was just a suicide and no one in the stadium was in danger.

One person was killed in an explosion near a packed football stadium at the University of Oklahoma on Saturday night in what authorities said appeared to be a suicide.

The blast, in a traffic circle about 100 yards from Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, could be heard by some in the crowd of 84,000, but university President David Boren said no one inside the stadium was ever in danger.

"We are apparently dealing with an individual suicide, which is under full investigation," Boren said in a statement. There was no information about the person who was killed, and no reports of any other injuries.

Bu there is more. Apparently there was second explosive device.

A police bomb squad detonated explosives found at the site of the blast. The area near the stadium was searched by bomb-sniffing dogs.
Then there is this report from a witness:

To: bahblahbah

I just got home from the game. They are calling it a suicide bomber and they found another bomb unexploded. One of my son's fraternity brothers was within about 30 yards of the blast and felt the heat on his face outside the science hall which is also near the stadium.

The police were interviewing him and one of the girls that was over at the fraternity (I park there) because she saw two men run in the stadium after the explosion and separate.

It was so loud. I told my son and daughter along with my son's friend that it sounded like a bomb. We didn't have any confirmation until the girl behind us got a call as it had scrolled across the screen.

Last I heard, they were looking for two more suspects, they blew up the second bomb, have bomb dogs all over campus going through the buildings that were open, and they couldn't tell if the person blown up was a man or woman.

Our news has very few details other than FBI is on the scene. Think every Norman cop from the looks of it is on the campus. We had to exit through the east and north sides and walk around as they had the south oval closed off from Lindsey to the Library.

What a scarey situation -- it was so freaky to hear that loud explosion and then absolutely zero news but we could see police cars all around from where we sit in the stadium. Didn't hear a word until the 4th quarter when the lady behind us received a call!

Two people fleeing the scene this information coupled with the second bomb makes it look like its more than a simple suicide. Then there was this guy who pleaded guilty last week.

On September 26, 2005 an Oklahoma University student pleaded guilty to bringing an explosive device to the airport. In August he was arrested after police found an improvised pipe bomb in his backpack. He told officials he had forgotten the device was in his bag. He faces up to a year in prison and up to $100,000 for the charge
Lets see if I got this right, A bombing with multiple bombs, apparently involving 3 people. Very Little MSM coverage. Is this a coverup?
The Oklahoma Daily releases some more information. There was only one bomb, and they identified the suicide bomber. The Oklahoma Daily is the school paper. I am still left to wondering why a suicide bomber in Iraq gets more attention than one at a collage campus during a football game.

4:05 p.m. — Joel Henry Hinrichs, 21, engineering junior and Triangle fraternity member, was identified as the individual killed in the bombing at a 4 p.m. press conference with Boren at Evans Hall.

3: 15 p.m. — OU President David L. Boren released a second statement Sunday confirming that there was no second device. Early reports that there was a second device were incorrect. The second detonation was the bomb squad making sure there was no second device in the area. has also learned that as of 3:15 p.m. Sunday, class will be held Monday as scheduled. More information will be posted here as it becomes available.

One person was killed Saturday night in an explosion during the second quarter of the OU/Kansas State game.

The thing that is so unusual about this story is the lack of MSM press.


On 10/02/2005 10:28:00 PM, Blogger AWG said...

I agree, Liberty. It's shocking how little coverage this explosive story is receiving. And thanks for linking that story about the OU student trying to board the plane with a bomb in his luggage. I remember that happening and there was little coverage of that as well when it happened.

On 10/03/2005 07:59:00 AM, Anonymous Elsa said...

I wonder why we in Holland didn't hear about this. Usually they would pay attention to this.

It's really shocking. The world is really going mad...

On 10/03/2005 08:39:00 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

The lack of coverage has been a little startling.

I can understand the university wanting to clamp down on information being released, since it's "scary" and bad PR in a sense (and as information flow goes, it's important to remember that OU is headed by former Senator Boren, who was a member of the Intelligence Committee while in office), but I can't understand the media not digging a little deeper.

On 10/03/2005 10:05:00 AM, Blogger Liberty said...

The silence was a little unnerving. I was reading comments, and found that parents, students and alumni, were all concerned about being kept in the dark. An explosion real close to a football game that has 87,000 people watching should have caught the medias attentetion, There was no need to go into hyper-mode and needlessly scare people, however in this day where Homeland Security is asking us to be ever vigilent there is no room for news blackouts.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home >>